Vietnamese Summer Roll Salad
from Closet Cooking
A salad inspired by the ingredients of Vietnamese summer rolls with shrimp and rice noodles along with plenty of vegetable and herbs in a peanut or nuoc cham dressing.Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 10 minutesTotal Time: 25 minutes
- 8 ounces vermicelli rice noodles, cooked as directed on package
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shrimp, shelled and deviened
- 2 cups lettuce, torn
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup basil, torn
- 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
- 1/4 cup mint, torn
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 birds eye chilies, sliced
- 1/4 cup peanut dressing or nuoc cham
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the shallot and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3-5 minutes, and set aside.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 1-2 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Assemble the salad, toss in dressing and enjoy.
Vietnamese Peanut and Hoisin Sauce/Dressing
A sweet, sour and garlicky peanut and hoisin dipping sauce.Servings: 1/4 cupPrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 5 minutesTotal Time: 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup water*
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~ 1 lime)
- 1 birds eye chili, sliced (or 1 teaspoon chili sauce)
*For a thicker dipping sauce rather than a dressing only use 1/4 cup water.Note: This sauce can come much darker depending on the ratio of peanut butter to hoisin sauce. I prefer the peanut butter to be the dominant flavour but you can experiment with the amounts to get it just the way you like it.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the peanut butter, hoisin sauce, water, fish sauce, lime juice and chili and simmer until it thickens a bit, about 5 minutes.