Tsoureki (Greek Easter Bread) from Closet Cooking
A brioche like sweet bread that is traditionally made for Easter.Servings: makes 2 loavesPrep Time: 3 hours 30 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 4 hours
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup milk, luke warm
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water or milk or orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon mahlep, ground
- 1 teaspoon mastic, ground
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 6 cups flower
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, lightly beaten
- Mix the yeast into the milk, along with the sugar, salt and flour and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the water, butter, eggs, sugar, mahlep, mastic and orange zest into the yeast mixture.
- Mix the flour into the yeast mixture until it forms a dough.
- Knead the dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise to double its original size, about 2 hours.
- Punch the dough down, cut it into 6 parts and form 2 braids.
- Place the braid on a grease baking sheet and let rise to double its original size, about 1 hour.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes