Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup) from Closet Cooking
A Thai style hot and sour chicken soup filled with plenty of fresh herbs.Servings: makes 2 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 20 minutesTotal Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced thinly
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thinly
- 2 birds eye chilis, thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece galangal or ginger, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm or brown sugar
- cilantro to taste
- Bring the chicken broth, water, shallots, lemongrass, lime leaves, chilis, galangal and chicken to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth, shred it and return it to the broth.
- Season the broth with the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar taste testing for a balance of sour, salty, sweet and spicy.
- Serve garnished with cilantro to taste.