Thai Chicken Noodle Soup from Closet Cooking
(makes 4-6 servings)
1/2 pound rice noodles
6 cups chicken stock
1 pound chicken breast (cut into bit sized pieces)
1 carrot (sliced thinly on an angle)
2 stalks lemongrass (peeled and chopped)
2 kaffir lime leaves (thinly sliced)
2 birds eye chilies (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 thumb sized piece galangal or ginger (grated)
1/2 pound baby bok choy (separated)
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (stemmed and sliced)
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 lime (juice and zest)
pepper to taste
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
2 green onions (sliced)
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and remove from heat.
2. Add the noodles, cover and let sit until cooked al dente, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse in cold water.
4. Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot.
5. Add the chicken, carrots, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, chillies, garlic, galangal and simmer until cooked, about 5-8 minutes.
6. Add the bok choy, and shiitake mushrooms and simmer until the bok choy just wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
7. Reduce the heat and mix in the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and zest, and pepper.
8. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
9. Remove from heat and mix in the noodles, cilantro and green onions.