Texmex Sloppy Joes
from Closet Cooking
A spicy and smoky Tex-mex take on sloppy joes served in a bun with guacamole, jalapenos and crumbled cotija.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 40minutesTotal Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil or bacon grease
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo, chopped (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 4 buns
- guacamole to taste (optional)
- diced onions to taste (optional)
- jalapenos, sliced to taste (optional)
- cotija, queso fresco or feta, crumbled to taste (optional)
- cilantro, chopped to taste (optional)
- Cook the beef in a large pan over medium heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the pan, add the onions, bell and jalapeno peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beer or broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add beef, tomato sauce, chipotle chili peppers in adobo, oregano, paprika, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve in buns with guacamole, diced onions, sliced jalapenos, crumbled cotija and cilantro to taste.