from Closet Cooking
Perfectly cooked medium-rare filet mignon in a mustard and brandy pan sauce with mushrooms.Servings: makes 2 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 10 minutesTotal Time: 20 minutes
- 2 (4 ounce) filet mignon medallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup brandy or cognac
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup veal or beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side and set aside.
- Add the shallots, garlic and thyme and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the brandy and carefully ignite.
- Add the mustard and cream and mix while cooking for a minute.
- Add the veal broth, deglaze the pan and simmer for another minute.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, parsley and any juices that collected under the beef to the pan and remove from heat.
- Divide the beef and sauce between two plates and enjoy.