Slow Roasted Tomato Tatin
from Closet Cooking
A savoury slow roasted tomato tart tatin that is a perfect way to enjoy perfectly vine ripen summer tomatoes!Servings: makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 2 hours 30 minutesTotal Time: 2 hours 45 minutesIngredients
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- Sprinkle the cut sides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Heat the sugar and water in an oven proof skillet over medium heat until the sugar turns liquid and lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully add the vinegar, wait for the caramel to stop sputtering, remove from heat and add the garlic, thyme and oil.
- Place the tomatoes face down in the sauce and bake in a preheated 275 oven for 2 hours.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until caramelized and a deep golden brown, add 2 tablespoons of water and deglaze the pan and set aside.
- Place the onions on top of the tomatoes.
- Roll the puff pastry out and cut a circle a little larger that the pan.
- Place the pastry over the tomatoes in the pan folding the edges over and cut three slits into the top to vent steam.
- bake in a preheated 450F oven until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.