A cajun and creole dish of shrimp in a tasty roux gravy.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 60 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound shrimp shelled and deviened
- hot sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Tip: If you do not have shrimp stock, simmer the shrimp shells in chicken stock or beer for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, cook until it starts to brown sprinkle in the flour while mixing and simmer until it turns a dark brown, about 10-20 minutes.
- Add the onion, celery and peppers and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a minute.
- Whisk in the stock, add the tomato, creole seasoning and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Season with hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the butter lemon juice, green onion and parsley and enjoy over cooked rice.