Shrimp and Okra Gumbo from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup onion (diced)
1 cup celery (diced)
1 cup green pepper (diced)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 pound okra (trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
4 cups shrimp stock
1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes (chopped)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined, save those shells for shrimp stock)
4 cups cooked rice
1 bunch green onions (sliced)
1 handful parsley (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Mix in the flour and cook until it turns a dark golden brown while stirring constantly, about 4-6 minutes.
3. Add the onions, celery and green pepper and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the okra and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add the shrimp stock, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 1-3 hours.
8. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 3-5 minutes.
9. Serve with rice and garnish with green onions and parsley.