from Closet Cooking
A hearty soup with all of the flavours of a reuben sandwich served French onion soup style topped with dark rye and melted swiss.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 40 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked corned beef, shredded or cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 slices dark rye, lightly toasted
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, deglaze the pan, add the corned beef, sauerkraut, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, pickling spices, caraway seeds and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cream, season with salt and pepper and remove the bay leaves.
- Divide between 4 oven-safe bowls, top with the rye and swiss and broil until the cheese melts, about 1-3 minutes.