Potato au Gratin from Closet Cooking
(makes 4+ side dish servings)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound potatoes (pealed and sliced thinly)
1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
1/4 cup bread crumbs (optional)
1. Heat the cream, milk, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a sauce pan stopping before it boils.
2. Place a layer of the potatoes on the bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
3. Pour some of the sauce over the potatoes to coat along with some cheese and thyme
4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you are out of potatoes ending with a layer of cream topped with cheese and thyme.
5. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top.
6. Bake in a preheated 325F oven until the sides are bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 30-45 minutes.