Pistachio Pesto on Penne from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1 pound pasta
1 cup pistachio pesto (see below)
parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated, optional garnish)
pistachios (chopped, optional garnish)
1. Cook the pasta in well salted water as directed on the package.
2. When the pasta is cooked to al dente drain the pasta water reserving some of it.
3. Pour the pasta back into the still hot pan, add the pesto and enough of the pasta water to make a smooth sauce that coats the pasta.
4. Serve garnished with parmigiano reggiano and chopped pistachios.
(makes 1 cup pesto)
1 cup fresh basil (packed)
1/4 cup spinach (optional, helps keep the pesto nice and green)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons pistachios (toasted)
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
3 tablespoons olive oil
lemon juice to taste (optional)
salt to taste
1. Place everything into a food processor and blend.