A tasty Thai style fried rice made with quinoa along with shrimp and pineapple.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deviened (omit for vegetarian)
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2+ bird eye chilies, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup pineapple, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (omit for vegan)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup peanuts or cashews
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarian)
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- Bring the quinoa, coconut milk and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, reduce the heat and simmer covered until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic, ginger, chilies, pepper and pineapple and saute until the shrimp is almost cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and cook, stirring for a minute.
- Add the quinoa, peas, raisins, peanuts, curry powder and fish sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste test and remove from heat mixing in the lime juice, green onions and cilantro.