Pickled Green Tomatoes from Closet Cooking
(makes 1 quart of pickles)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon salt
1 pound green tomatoes (quartered and/or sliced)
1 quarts worth of canning jars (sterilized*)
1. Bring everything but the tomatoes to a boil for 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stuff the tomatoes in the the jar(s).
3. Pour the liquid over the tomatoes making sure to cover them.
4. Put the lids on and give them a good shake to make that all of the air bubbles come out to the top.
5. Store in the fridge for 3 months.
* To sterilize the jars:
1. Wash in hot soapy water.
2. Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.