Penang Curried Pumpkin and Prawn Soup from Closet Cooking
(makes 4-6 servings)
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons penang curry paste
6 cups chicken stock
2 kaffir lime leaves (thinly sliced)
2 cups butternut squash (cut into bite sized cubes)
1 red pepper (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 teaspoon palm sugar (grated, or sugar)
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 pound shrimp (shelled and deviened)
1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
2 green onions (sliced)
1 birds eye chili (thinly sliced)
1/4 cup peanuts (roasted and chopped)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the thicker coconut milk that floats at the top in a pan.
2. Add the curry paste and saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, butternut squash, red pepper, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and peanut butter and simmer until the butternut squash is just tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the peas and shrimp and simmer until the shrimp is cooked, about 2-4 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with cilantro, green onions, birds eye chili and peanuts.