Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
from Closet Cooking
A tasty Italian style bean and pasta soup with Italian sausage and plenty of vegetables.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 50 minutesTotal Time: 60 minutes
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (omit for vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (2 inch) piece parmesan rind
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped (optional)
- parmesan, grated (optional)
- Cook the sausage in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat and set aside.
- Add the oil, onions, carrots and celery to the pan and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth, sausage, tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, oregano, bay leaf and parmesan rind, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (If you have the time this soup will benefit from being simmered longer.)
- Add the pasta and simmer until it is cooked al-dente, about 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with parsley and parmesan.