Pad Thai Soup
from Closet Cooking
A tasty shrimp noodle soup inspired by the flavours of pad Thai.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 25 minutesTotal Time: 40 minutes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deviened, shells reserved
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons palm or brown sugar
- 2 birds eye chilies, sliced (or chili sauce to taste)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound rice noodles
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- birds eye chilies to taste, sliced
- cilantro to taste
- crispy fried shallots to taste
- lime wedges to taste
- Bring the broth and shrimp shells to a boil in a large sauce pan, reduce the heat, simmer covered for 10 minutes and strain the solids from the broth.
- Add the shallot, garlic, tamarind concentrate, fish sauce, sugar, chilies and mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the noodles as directed and divide between 4 bowls.
- Add the shrimp to the soup and simmer until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the eggs into the soup in a thin stream while stirring/swirling the soup.
- Add the bean sprouts and remove from heat.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and garnish with green onions, chopped peanuts, sliced chilies cilantro, crispy fried shallots and lime wedges to taste.