Monte Cristo Quesadillas from Closet Cooking
(makes 1 quesadilla)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon butter
2 (8 inch) tortillas
1 tablespoon mustard
2 handfuls cheese (grated, I used cheddar)
1/4 cup cooked ham (sliced or shredded, warmed)
1 tablespoon jam (I used apricot)
jam for dipping (I used apricot)
1. Mix the egg, milk and vanilla in a large shallow bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a pan.
3. Dip one side of a tortilla in the egg mixture and then place it in the pan.
4. Spread the mustard out over the top of the tortilla and cover with one handful of cheese, the ham and the remaining cheese.
5. Spread the jam on one side of the remaining tortilla, dip the other side into the egg mixture and place it on top of everything in the pan with the egg mixture facing up.
6. Let cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes and flip. (Tip: I slid the quesadilla onto a plate and then flipped the pan, placed it on top of the plate, flipped the pan upright again and removed the plate.)
7. Let cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
8. Slide the tortilla out of the pan, cut it into triangles and serve topped with powdered sugar and a side of jam for dipping. (Note: You could also drench the quesadilla in maple syrup!)