Mastic Ice Cream by Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1/2 teaspoon mastic resin crystals
1/2 cup sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
4 egg yolks
1 splash masticha liqueur
1. Grind the mastic resin crystals in a mortar and pestle along with some sugar.
2. Heat the cream, milk, sugar and mastic in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to low.
4. Temper the eggs and stir them into the cream along with the masticha liqueur.
5. Cook at low heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
6. You may want to strain the mixture at this point to remove any bits that may have formed while warming.
7. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
8. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.