Mashed White Beans with Spinach and Olives from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion (diced)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
2 (19 ounce) cans white beans (drained and rinsed)
4 sprigs thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dry)
2 sprigs rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dry)
2 sprigs oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dry)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and coarsely chopped)
1 (8 ounce) package fresh spinach (rinsed and coarsely chopped)
1/2 lemon (juice)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until lightly golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the broth, beans, herbs, salt and pepper and simmer. covered, until the beans start to break down, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove the herbs and mash half of the beans.
6. Add as much broth as needed to get the beans to your desired consistency.
7. Mix in the olives and the spinach.
8. Cook until the spinach just wilts, remove from heat and hit it with a splash of lemon juice.