Maple Pecan Shortbread from Closet Cooking
(makes 30+ cookies)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecans (toasted and finely chopped)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 large egg yolk
1 large egg white (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1. Mix the flours, salt and pecans in a large bowl.
2. Cream the butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the maple syrup followed by the egg yolk.
4. Mix in the flour until it forms a dough.
5. Form the dough into a 1 1/2 inch thick log, wrap it in plastic and let it chill out in the fridge for 2 hours to over night.
6. Slice the log into 1/4 inch thick slices.
7. Place the cookies on a baking sheet 1 inch apart from each other, brush with the egg white and top with the pecan laves and the turbinado sugar.
8. Bake the cookies in a 350F preheated oven until lightly golden brown on the edges, about 10-12 minutes, turning the baking sheet around half way through.