Maple, Bourbon Ham and Baked Bean Soup
from Closet Cooking
A ham and bean soup with all of the flavours of maple bourbon baked beans!Servings: 4Prep Time: 15 minutesSoak Time: 8 hoursCook Time: 1 hour 45 minutesTotal Time: 2 hours
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups ham broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 pound dried white beans such as navy, great northern, cannellini, picked over and soaked overnight in water
- 1 ham bone
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, white beans and ham bone, maple syrup, bourbon, ketchup, molasses, mustard, worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar and chipotle chili in adobo, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, until the beans are tender, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove the bone, optionally puree some of the soup with a blender, add the ham and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.