Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam
from Closet Cooking
A sweet, salty, smoky, spicy and down right tasty bacon jam that is the definition of umami! This bacon jam goes well on toast for breakfast and makes for a great condiment in sandwiches and burgers of all sorts!Servings: makes 1-2 cupsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 50 minutesTotal Time: 2 hours
- 1 pound thick smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coffee (brewed)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1-2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan an over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.
- Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours.
- Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out a bit but not too much as you want to have the texture of the bacon.
- If you do not finish it all in one sitting, store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.