by Closet Cooking
Lasagna is made with a tomato based meat sauce layered with pasta and cheese and this soup has it all from the tasty Italian sausage and tomatoes to the pasta and it is topped off with a dollop of cheesy goodness that will warm your heart on a cold winters day.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 55 minutesTotal Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound pasta
- 4 ounces ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, breaking it apart as you go and set aside reserving the remaining oil and grease.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flake and fennel and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, sausage, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. (If you have the time this soup will benefit from being simmered longer.)
- Add the pasta and cook until al-dente, about 7 minutes and remove from heat.
- Mix the ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella and serve the soup garnished with a tablespoon of the mixture along with the basil.