Korean Style Salsa Roja from Closet Cooking
(makes 2 cups)
1/2 pound plum tomatoes
1/4 pound tomatillos (husked and washed)
1 cup water
1 ounce (about 20) dried chilies de arbol, toasted
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 tablespoon garlic, grated
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean chili powder)
2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted and crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1. Roast the tomatoes and tomatillos until charred on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
2. Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, water, chiles de arbol and onion into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer until the onions are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
3. Drain the water reserving it.
4. Place everything other that the sesame seeds into a food processor or a blender and puree adding some of the reserved liquid if necessary.
5. Strain the bits from the salsa.
6. Mix in the toasted and crushed sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper.