Kalamata Olive Marinara from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and chopped)
1/2 teaspoon Italian herb blend
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful basil (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
5. Add the tomatoes, kalamata olives, Italian herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
7. Puree to the desired consistency. (optional)