Jalapeno Salsa Ranchera from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1 tablespoon corn oil
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 jalapeno (chopped)
1 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is good)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, jalapeno and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
7. Puree in a food processor if desired.