Italian Lentil and Chestnut Stew from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
1 small package dried porcini mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (diced)
1 carrot (diced)
1 rib celery (diced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 cup puy lentils
2 cups water (or broth)
1/2 cup roasted chestnuts (or boiled chestnuts)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful parsley (chopped)
1. Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the dried porcini mushrooms and let soak for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.
3. Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Slice the porcini mushrooms retaining the liquid.
6. Add the mushrooms, their water, the lentils, water, chestnuts, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf, thyme, parmigiano reggiano rind, salt and pepper into the sauce pan and simmer covered until the lentils are al dente, about 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove from head and stir in the parsley.