Imam Baildi from Closet Cooking
(makes 4 servings)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 tomatoes (peeled and diced)
1 green pepper (seeded and sliced)
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful parsley (chopped)
2 tomatoes (sliced)
1/2 onion (sliced)
1. Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise, scoop out the middles and chop them.
2. Salt the eggplant shells and chopped middles and let rest in a strainer for 203-30 minutes.
3. Roast the eggplant shells in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Rinse the salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
5. Heat the oil in a pan.
6. Add the onions and saute until the onions are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
7. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
8. Add the chopped eggplant, tomatoes, green pepper, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until the sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.
9. Remove the sauce from the burner and stir in the parsley.
10. Place the eggplant shells in a baking dish, fill them with the mixture and top with the sliced tomatoes and onions.
11. Fill the dish with hot water until it goes halfway up the eggplant shells.
12. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the water has evaporated and the tomatoes and onions are well roasted and caramelized, about 1 hour.