by Closet Cooking
Black-eyed peas simmered with a smoky ham hock until creamy and tender and full of flavour!Servings: makes 4+ servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small ham hock (or 2 cups cubed ham)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- cayenne to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery and pepper and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the peas, broth, ham hock, bay leaf, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the temperature and simmer until the black-eyed peas are creamy and tender, about 60 minutes, adding more broth if required.
- Remove the ham hock and shred the pork and mix it into the black eyed peas.
- Serve over steamed rice and garnish with green onions.