Ham and Mushroom Sauerkraut Soup from Closet Cooking
(makes 4+ servings)
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 (8 ounce) package cremini mushrooms (diced)
2 cups ham (chopped in a food processor)
2 cups sauerkraut (with liquid)
4 cups beef broth
1/3 cup barley
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the mushrooms and saute until all of the moisture has evaporated.
5. Add the ham, sauerkraut, broth, barley, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer until the barley is tender, about 30-45 minutes.