Greek Green Beans in Tomato Sauce (Fasolakia) from Closet Cooking
Green beans braised in a tasty tomato sauce with lots of fresh herbs that goes well when served with feta and some crusty bread.
Servings: makes 2-4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into bit sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, green beans, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer until the beans are soft, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in the dill and parsley and serve garnished with feta.