from Closet Cooking
Perfectly light, soft and chewy potato dumplings that are a great replacement for pasta or rice.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 40 minutes
- 1 pound russet potatoes, about 2 large ones
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prick the potatoes a few times with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about an hour.
- Scoop the inside out of the potatoes and mash them.
- Mix in the egg and enough of the flour to form a soft dough that is not too sticky to work with.
- Knead the dough for a minute and then roll it out into 4 long thin rolls about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the rolls into 1/2 inch pieces and then roll the pieces in flour lightly shaking off any excess.
- Roll the pieces over a gnocchi board or a fork to give them the ridges.
- Cook the gnocchi in boiling water in small batches until it floats to the surface, about 2-3 minutes, remove and set aside to drain.
- Use as desired.