Fried Green Tomato BLT with Pimento Cheese
from Closet Cooking
A Southern twist on a BLT swapping out the ripe red tomatoes for crispy fried green tomatoes and adding some tasty pimento cheese.Servings: makes 1 sandwichPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 10 minutesTotal Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium sized green tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-4 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- creole seasoning or salt and pepper
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 tablespoons pimento cheese
- Soak the green tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Cook the bacon and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the masa harina, cornmeal and creole seasoning and place it in a wide and shallow dish.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Assemble sandwich and enjoy.