French Onion Soup Dip
from Closet Cooking
A creamy dip with sweet caramelized onions inspired by French onion soup that goes perfectly with melted gruyere crostini for dipping.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesTotal Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pounds onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or water
- 1/2 cup beef stock or water
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup gruyere, grated
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until deep brown and caramelized, about 45-60 minutes, stirring as needed and deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoons wine and stock as needed.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and enjoy with with crostini topped with melted gruyere or chips.