Eggplant Parmesan from Closet Cooking
(makes 6+ servings)
2 large eggplants (optionally peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
4 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 cups bread crumbs
oil for frying
3 cups marinara sauce (I used a kalamata olive marinara)
1 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
3 cups mozzarella (grated or sliced)
1. Salt the eggplant and let it sit in a colander for 20-30 minutes then rise it and pat it dry.
2. Season the eggplant with salt and pepper, dredge it in flour, dip it in egg and dredge it in the bread crumbs.
3. Fry the eggplant in the oil until it is golden brown on both sides and then let them drain on paper towels.
4. Spread some of the marinara on the bottom of your baking dish followed by a layer of eggplant, some marinara, some parmigiano reggiano and mozzarella and continue to layer until you end up with cheese at the top.
5. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the sides are bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.