Cuban Black Beans and Rice (Moros y Cristianos)
from Closet Cooking
A tasty Cuban style black beans and rice that is good as a side dish or a meatless main.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 20 minutesTotal Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper or banana pepper or cubanelle, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
Tip: Add ham or bacon for an extra kick of flavour.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and pepper and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beans and water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in the vinegar and cilantro, optionally mash 1/4 of the beans to make it creamy and served over steamed rice.