Creamy Cabbage and Double Smoked Bacon Soup
from Closet Cooking
A hearty creamy soup with double smoked bacon, sausage and cabbage that is just packed with flavour.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesTotal Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 pound double smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- grainy mustard
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat add the sausage and cook until cooked, about 7-10 minutes, breaking it up as you go and set it aside.
- Add the bacon to the same pan and cook until the fat renders, about 7-10 minutes and set it aside reserving 1 tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Puree half of the beans in a food processor with some of the chicken stock.
- Add the chicken stock, sausage, bacon, beans, pureed beans, cabbage, oregano and bay leaf and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix in the cream and parsley and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with grainy mustard.