Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guinness Caramelized Onions
from Closet Cooking
Slow roasted tender corned beef served in a grilled cheese sandwich along with Guinness caramelized onions, grainy mustard and plenty of melted cheddar cheese.Servings: makes 1 sandwichPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal Time: 1 hours 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices rye, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded, room temperature
- 2 ounces cooked corned beef, sliced or shredded, warm
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup Guinness , cover and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes and repeat three more times.
- Remove from heat and mix in the Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread, top with half of the onions, the corned beef, the remaining onions, cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Add the sandwich to the pan and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.