Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
from Closet Cooking
A guacamole inspired by esquites, aka Mexican corn salad, with caramelized/charred or grilled corn and crumbled cotija.Servings: 4Prep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 20 minutesTotal Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter (or bacon grease)
- 1 cup corn (~2 ears)
- 2 large avocados, mashed
- 1/4 cup cotija (or feta)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Option: Grill the corn instead of caramelizing it in a pan.Option: Add one tablespoon mayonnaise since esquites and elote typically contain mayo.Option: Add 1/4 cup diced tomatoes and 2 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, about 6-10 minutes, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Mix everything and enjoy!