Cod Baked in a Tomato and Feta Sauce
from Closet Cooking
Cod baked in a tasty tomato and feta sauce full of fresh herbs and a splash of ouzo to keep things interesting.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- chili pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups of fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 splash ouzo or other star anise liqueur (optional)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (6 ounce) cod fillets
- crusty bread
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano and ouzo and simmer until the sauce just starts to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in the herbs, feta and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the cod fillets in a baking dish and pour the tomato sauce over them.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the fish is cooked, about 10-12 minutes. The cod will be cooked when it flakes easily and it is no longer translucent.