Cochinita Pibil (Puerco Pibil)
from Closet Cooking
A tasty slow roasted pork marinated in sour oranges and red annatto seeds.Servings: makes 4-8 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 4 hoursTotal Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons annatto or achiote seeds seeds
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 clove
- 2 allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup seville orange juice or 2/4 cup lime juice and 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 3 pound pork butt
- banana leaves or foil
- Grind the annatto seeds, oregano, peppercorns, cumin, clove, allspice and cinnamon in a grinder until powdered.
- Blend the ground mixture along with the salt, garlic and orange juice in a blender. (If possible let sit overnight and blend again.)
- Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes and marinate in the mixture, covered, in the fridge for several hours to overnight.
- Wrap the pork along with the marinade in banana leaves or foil and place it in a large baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven until falling apart tender, about 3-4 hours.