Chicken Pot Pie by Closet Cooking
(makes 6 servings)
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 pound cooked chicken (shredded or cut into bite sized pieces)
1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup peas (I used frozen)
1 cup corn (I used frozen)
2 tablespoons miso (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 pie crust (top and bottom)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1. Melt the butter in a large pan.
2. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Mix in the flour and let it cook for a minute.
4. Mix in the chicken stock followed by the milk.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the chicken, thyme, sherry, peas, corn and
7. Mix the miso paste into some warm water and mix it into the sauce.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Pour the filling into a pie dish with the bottom layer.
10. Place the pie dough over the pie plate and fold any excess under itself.
11. Seal the top and bottom crusts.
12. Cut 3 1 inch slits on the top.
13. Mix the egg white and the water and brush it on the pie crust.
14. Place the pie onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven until the crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes.