from Closet Cooking
Easy homemade chicken broth that is perfect for any soup!Servings: makes 6-8 cupsPrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 1 hourTotal Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 (3 pound) chicken
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (2-inch) piece parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- Place everything in a large stock pot, cover with 4 inches of water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Pull the meat off of the chicken and reserve for another use.
- Strain the solids from the broth and discard them.
- Optionally, let the broth cool in the fridge over night and skim off any fat before using.