Caramelized Cheese Covered Grilled Cheese Sandwich
from Closet Cooking
We all know that those little bits of melted cheese that ooze out and burn on the side are one of the best parts of a grilled cheese sandwich so why not take it one step further and purposely coat the the grilled cheese sandwich with cheese to caramelize on?Servings: make 1 sandwichPrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 15 minutesTotal Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread, day old
- 6 ounces cheese, grated/shredded, room temperature
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Completely butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle on the half cheese and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese on an unoccupied section of the pan, place the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on an unoccupied section of the pan, flip the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.