Cajun Red Beans and Rice
from Closet Cooking
Red beans slowly simmered with a smoky ham hock until they absorb all of its flavour before being served over rice in one flavour packed meal.Servings: makes 4+ servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 1 hours 20 minutesTotal Time: 1 hours 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage (cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 ham hock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice (I like to go with a brown rice)
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and saute until lightly golden brown, about 5-7 minutes, and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery and green pepper to the pan and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock, beans, ham hock, sausage, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for at least 1 hour continuing for another hour or two if you have the time to bring out more flavour from the ham hock.
- Remove the ham hock, pull the meat from it, cut it into bite sized pieces and add it back to the pot if desired.
- Mash or puree about a quarter of the beans.
- Serve over rice.