Butter Pie Crust (Pâte Brisée) from Closet Cooking
(makes 1 p inch pie crust)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
4-5 tablespoons water (cold)
1. Pulse the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor to mix.
2. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, about 6-8 times.
3. Add a tablespoon of water at a time pulsing in between until it starts to clump together.
4. Place the dough on a clean surface and shape it into a disc.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Roll the dough into a 12 inch circle about 1/8 of an inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
7. Place the dough into the pie plate and form it.
If you need to pre-bake the pie crust, this is how:
8. Place a piece of parchment paper in the pie and fill it with rice or beans to hold it down.
9. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes.
10. Remove the parchment paper and weight and poke the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times.
11. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.