Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Bacon, Mustard Cream and a Parmesan Crust
from Closet Cooking
Brussels sprouts baked in a creamy mustard sauce along with smoky bacon all topped in a crispy golden brown parmesan crust.Servings: makes 4+ servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 35 minutesTotal Time: 45 minutes
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Blanch the brussels sprouts until just tender and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, set it aside and drain all but a tablespoon of the grease.
- Add the butter to the pan and let it melt and then bubble.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the flour and let simmer until it just starts to brown a little.
- Mix in the milk, nutmeg, mustard, salt and pepper and half of the cheese and heat until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens.
- Mix brussels sprouts and bacon into the sauce and pour into a baking dish.
- Mix the bread crumbs and the remaining cheese and sprinkle on top of the brussels sprouts.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 15-20 minutes.