Braised Short Rib Ragu
from Closet Cooking
Short ribs braised in a tasty flavour packed sauce until fall apart in your mouth tender and good.
Servings: make 4+ servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds short ribs, 2-3 inches long
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- 1 piece parmigano reggiano (parmesan) rind, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Soak the mushrooms in 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear the short ribs until brown on all sides and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the oil and fat from the pan and reduce to medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and anchovy paste and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the ribs, the mushrooms and their liquid, tomato puree, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, thyme, rosemary, fennel, parmigano reggiano rind, bay leaves, salt and pepper and enough beef stock to cover the ribs.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to a preheated 350F oven and cook until the meet is falling off the bones, about 3 hours.
- Remove the beef from the pan, set aside to cool
- Puree the sauce.
- Pull the beef from the bones, shred it, return it to the sauce and simmer to thicken if desired.