Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
from Closet Cooking
A healthy, hearty and tasty vegetarian chili with back beans and quinoa that does not sacrifice anything in flavour.Servings: makes 4+ servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 40 minutesTotal Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into bit sized pieces, optional
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn, fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- Simmer the quinoa in the water until absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin and saute until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, peppers, zucchini, chipotle, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and corn and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.